Run 5K

Run 1200m
10x Burpees
Run 1600m
5x Burpees

Paleo Basic

Eat This

• Foods that are as close to nature as possible. If our Paleo ancestors couldn’t make it, you can’t eat it.
  • Meat -i.e  beef, pork, chicken, fish, seafood, etc…
  • Vegetables
  • Fruit
  • Nuts & Seeds
  • Seed Oils
  • Water

Don’t Eat This

• Grains
  • Sugar
  • Dairy
  • Legumes
  • or any other Processed crap. If it comes in a box or has multi-syllabic ingredients, it ain’t Paleo.

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

• 5/5/2010 9:35 PM DK wrote:
    I have witnessed many of you make tremendous strides recently! Nick and the rest of the trainers are all excited for you. Even though I'm not participating in the paleo challenge, Leah and nick did an awesome job! Remember to work on your "weakness" for this month...mine is cleans!!! What is yours? Jj you did awesome!!!! I saw everyone working hard today and that's what inspires me to train you guys/gals!
  • 5/6/2010 6:57 AM Leah wrote:
    Thanks David!

My weakness is front squats. Right, lindsey?

I want to do both WOD's today - I missed yesterday b/c I acccidentaly drove out of the Fox Theater last night and around Atlanta - TWICE

BFAST- Egg Whites, spinach and green peppers w/ salsa. And decaff black coffee.
  • 5/6/2010 7:21 AM Leah wrote:
    Nick- I like the paleo picture collage you made
  • 5/6/2010 7:59 AM JJ wrote:
    agreed...nice menagerie of paleo pictures, captain nick.

dk...thanks bro
  • 5/6/2010 8:01 AM bradley wrote:
    i had a dream about that cavelady....

she is sooo paleolicious
  • 5/6/2010 8:11 AM Ric wrote:
    Is salsa considered paleo? Does it not have salt and other stuff? Man I feel so full all day.
  • 5/6/2010 9:59 AM Nancy wrote:
    Scale says down 4 pounds since Monday!

Nick-I still hate burpees, but thanks for making me sweat.
  • 5/6/2010 10:19 AM DK wrote:
    So after Nick let me create a WOD for the Basketball team yesterday i will be experimenting by writing my own programming, anyone else down to try some of the WODS???? I'll let you know how they go first!!
  • 5/6/2010 10:25 AM DK wrote:
    i like Raquel Welch in the paleo collage above. Leah, no problem you and Nick did a damn good job setting up the challenge...How much does the winner stand to make? Jj you murdered that workout...Liz take care of those hands!! I wrote my own WOD yesterday and I designed several last night we shall see how painful this is anyone else crazy enough to try one on the next rest day???
  • 5/6/2010 10:44 AM Heather Maroney wrote:
    TGIRD!!

Leah: Poor girl! Driving around the city twice. No fun!

Ric: Look for organic salsa (but be mindful of added sugar and preservatives!). Perhaps others have a suggested brand they have found already? The most paleo salsa is the kind you make yourself.

Nancy: That is awesome!

DK: Your diligence and hard work makes us work harder! Thanks!

The picture of Raquel Welch makes me think of The Shawshank Redemption.
  • 5/6/2010 11:03 AM Bryan wrote:
    Heather, you are a Paleo encyclopedia.

For salsa, Trader Joe's has a good salsa verde. The woman from everdaypaleo.com uses it all the time. It doesn't have any sugar or preservatives.
  • 5/6/2010 11:05 AM Shivon wrote:
    I made the fish recipe that I shared yesterday and I must say it was a Party in my Mouth! Yumm...

David: Thanks for all of the muscle up tips. Even the ones I resisted listening to at first like 15 deadhang pull ups. I am adding wall balls and thrusters to my list of weaknesses for May. Those are my 2 least favorite exercises. I'm all down for trying a crazy killer workout on the next rest day.
  • 5/6/2010 11:43 AM Nathan wrote:
    I'm down for a custom WOD!
  • 5/6/2010 12:26 PM Robin S wrote:
    Feeling a bit lightheaded today...bfast was 1 egg, 4 apple slices and 1 tsp almond butter. Ran 5K. Lunch is 2 slices Lean Roast Beef, 4 carrot sticks and 1 tbsp guac.
  • 5/6/2010 12:40 PM Shivon wrote:
    Robin: 1 egg and 4 apple slices. Are you sure you are eatting enough? I would pass out on 1 egg and 1 apple...maybe thats why you feel lightheaded. Remember, the goal of Paleo is to properly fuel your body with quality food, not restrict your eatting or calories. Happy eatting
  • 5/6/2010 12:51 PM Shivon wrote:
    Robin: my computer chopped off the rest of my comment. I was going to say that I know it is the opposite of what we have been told about nutirition and a bit counter-intuitive, but don't worry about eatting too much. Eat when you are humgry and stop when you are full. That is the beauty of Paelo, the rules are simple. Fuel your body with quality, nutirtient rich foods and you are on track.

I suggest reading Melissa's original 30 day challenge blog at the Whole 9. She addresses alot of concerns and questions of Paleo eatting and tackling a 30 day challenge in the comments section. The cool thing about the site is that in the comments section you can see how others have done on day 1,2,3, etc and how Melissa suggests handling them.

I hope this helps!
  • 5/6/2010 1:31 PM Heather Maroney wrote:
    Robin: Definitely eat more. The article I posted the other day was mainly for all to be abstemious regarding the "paleo" recipes for banana nut muffins and almond meal pancakes, etc. One can have all paleo ingredients in a dish, but still overindulge.

Basic, day-to-day dining; however, you should eat until you are full. And if you are drinking enough water, getting enough veggies and a lean protein, you truly will be full by the end of your meal. The trick is to get your brain off of the piece of bread you did not eat.

If your body isn't getting enough fuel, then it is storing fat intended for self-preservation.

Ultimately, you will not have energy, and you won't see productive results in the gym (or in your wardrobe) due to storage.
  • 5/6/2010 1:43 PM Leah wrote:
    Great answer, Heather. Your body will go into starvation mode. No good.

I ate about 5-6 egg whites for breakfast, 1/2 an avocado. and 1/2 a bag of spinach

That's about 5 times what you ate, Robin. I'm eating a lot of food, but I'm still down about 3 lbs.
  • 5/6/2010 2:02 PM Corey wrote:
    Has anyone found almond beer or avecado wine anywhere? Whisky is Paleo since it comes from an Oak barrel, which is wood and a known natural substance. Just saying it's possible.
  • 5/6/2010 2:15 PM Not So Paleo Shim wrote:
    Doin the 5K this afternoon.

For breakfast I had yogurt, 1 banana, and a multigrain cereal bar, black coffee.
    I had 2 slices of pizza at Fortunados for lunch today. It was pretty damn good.

Why are potatoes not apart of the paleo diet? And rice too?
    What's an Irish-Korean like myself to do?
  • 5/6/2010 2:56 PM JJ wrote:
    shivon..good article and blogs...

Irish/Korean Shim.....no more rice for us ;P
  • 5/6/2010 2:59 PM bradley wrote:
    So obviously your hard stuff like LSD, Heroine, Meth etc are not Paleo. But herbs are ok...right? hehehe...sorry having fun here today!
  • 5/6/2010 3:11 PM JJ wrote:
    Bradler....yes..herbs, shrooms, and the coca plant are ok....lol
  • 5/6/2010 3:17 PM Captian Nick wrote:
    HELLO!!!!!!! DOES ANYONE READ THE BLOG OR WHAT??????

DO MY COMMENTS POST OR NOT!!!!!!!

YOU CAN EAT ALL YOU WANT AND NOT GET FAT IF IT IS BALANCED!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON GUYS, DON'T MAKE THIS HARDER THAT IT IS! THE EASY PART IS EATING THE HARD PART IS STAYING AWAY FROM CHERRY COKE!
  • 5/6/2010 4:04 PM Captain Nick wrote:
    So I guess we are all running at Home?

Cool...because I have a softball game tonight and would like to close at 8:15 tonight>
  • 5/6/2010 7:01 PM Leah wrote:
    Lunch today-
    grilled turkey breast, grilled mushrooms, and brussle sprouts (steamfresh bag), 1/2 and apple and some almond butter

Snack- strawberries, blueberries, blackberries; a handful of nuts, and a little left over turkey breast.
  • 5/6/2010 9:42 PM Robin S wrote:
    Thanks everyone...I was just hungry as I did not eat enough before I ran the 5K and did not eat again until almost noon. Feeling much better~
    Lunch- 3oz roast beef, carrots, guac and some nuts.